Thursday, January 24, 2013

Crockpot Crazy!


I recently rediscovered my crockpot.  I had received it as a wedding gift, and it came with a recipe book, and I only liked one or two recipes, so it stayed in hibernation for quite a while.

Then, on day, while perusing Pinterest, I came across "the easiest crockpot dinner ever" (or something like that) and I had to try it.  So I dug out my crockpot, made it and it was a hit!  Then I had an inspiration, what if I kept the basics:  a bag of frozen chicken breasts and a brick of cream cheese, and changed up the rest:  different sauce, different veggies and seasonings?  Bingo!  It worked!  You just serve it up with organic quinoa or rice and you're done!  No more recipes.  Pure simplicity; healthy and easy...IF you remembered to get it started before lunch!

But what if you didn't remember?  Well, that's what happened to me yesterday and it brought about a great discovery!  Another product has now seen the light of day in my kitchen, one I've had ownership of for about 6 years!  Now, a lot of you, when you hear that it is a Pampered Chef Deep Covered Baker will say:  "Oh!  The Magic Pot!  I use it in the microwave all the time, dinners in less than 30 minutes, blah, blah, blah..."  But I don't have a microwave.  By choice.  

Anyway, back to the Ah-ha! moment:  So I did an experiment.  My daughter had told me there was still a bag of chicken in the freezer, but it was actually a bag of salmon!  That was going to have to be it.  I certainly wasn't going to make an unplanned shopping trip-didn't have the time.  I scooped up a few tablespoons of coconut oil and popped it into the baker, put the frozen fish on top, (four large pieces) which immediately formed a rock solid bond with the stoneware, (uh oh!) dumped a jar of curry sauce on top and added two chopped onions.  Popped the baker with the near frozen bottom into the oven, and baked it at 350 for what was meant to be an hour, but unfortunately turned into two hours due to all my other duties.  Guess what?  IT WAS A COMPLETE SUCCESS!  In other words, I had just found a short cut to crock pot cooking!  Yes, it is a "Magic Pot" even without the microwave.

Chili is next!

Here is what I like to call my Crockpot Kit (I guess it would work well with the DCB too!), as well as a shopping list:

Tools:
Garlic Press: for fresh garlic-add at the last minute!
Can Strainer: for canned items, like beans and tomatoes
Food Chopper: for onions!
French Fry CutterFrench fry cutter:  Oh my gosh!  This is great for quickly cutting up potatoes, squash, zucchini; cute little bite-sized cubes, and reduces the cooking time!
Salad Chopper: for cutting up meat right in the pot after it's been cooked!
Smooth-edge Can Opener:  I know most of you probably have a can opener, but if you are ever in the market for a new one, this one is the best!

If you'd be interested in ordering any of these tools please contact me

Shopping list:
-bag of frozen chicken breasts or tenderloins
-bags of frozen spinach, organic corn, peas, veggie mixes...
-fresh onions, garlic, potatoes, squash, cauliflower, etc.
-Cans (or better yet, jars) of tomato products, beans (it you didn't have time to soak them)
-Jars of your favorite sauces, or learn to make your own and freeze.
-Quinoa or rice if you are gluten free, or pasta if you're not.
-Broth, tomato soup for stews!
-Seasonings!  Remember, avoid products with corn, soy, canola oil (most likely GMOs) and wheat if you're gluten-free.  My favorite is Chili Lime Rub!

No comments:

Post a Comment